Tuesday, September 8, 2009

a week later...

September 8th already?

Where did the week go- I think.

After the Awaken team left to go back to LA, it hit me- we live here. We are not "going back" with the team. This is home for now. Yet I keep catching myself calling LA “home”

Where is my home? I’ve decided it’s the cheesy saying, that home is where the heart is.



The past two Sundays, we have gone to a Church near our home called Impacto (Impact). We live just around the corner from it, and so we walk there. The service is in Spanish with simultaneous translations. I’ve become friends with the woman who translates, her name is Gabby, and she is an answer to prayer. Gabby invited me to a Mommy Bible study, which also has been great. Now that we belong to a Church, and a bible study, I am making friends. Gabby also takes me grocery shopping. There is a Costco here and it’s called Price Smart. Has just about everything at home, with mush less selections, so choice making is limited- easier. I have been shopping for three men, and a baby- and myself (haha). That’s Brian, Chris (Tegu owner and who’s home we are staying at), and Charlie, who is spending a month here with us to volunteer at Tegu (like Brian). I feel like I have two sons! I’m packing lunches; cleaning the home, making dinner…It has been a lot of work. This is how I am serving right now.

On Sunday we also spoke to the Pastor to find out how we can serve with them. There are some programs through the Church that help children and families. I must find a ride to these functions. Not having a car is my biggest obstacle. I pray for transportation, because even if I had a car, driving here, if you are not a native- is like suicide! It’s like LA and NY’a worst drivers on crack.

With that said, I am still finding ways to be busy. I am helping Tegu with some of the educational text for the website www.tegu.com.

The guys have been very bust this week interviewing candidates to hire. 200 + Hondurans lined up to apply for jobs with Tegu this week and last week. The requirement was a test, which many had a hard time passing. Men and women applied, and this week the team will make some decisions about new hires. SO many people waited and waited, and were hopeful- as they applied. Many were surprised by the test, and found it difficult. Many were not used to the work environment- and so there were some strange behaviors. The team is challenged in finding candidates, and will be challenged to train the new hires.

At home I wait each night, cooking dinner for 5, playing with Olivia, and excited to hear the news about how the day at the factory was. I am also anxious to pass Olivia onto Daddy so that my hips and arms can have a break. She is so active and playful, and learning so much every day.

This home is much bigger than our home in LA, and I find keeping up with it to be exhausting. I feel blessed though that God has provided for us, and that slowly, I am making friends, having days out, and soon hope to serve outside of the home- in the community – with the women and children who need love.

Fun at home!
At the local Mall- Cascades

2 comments:

  1. Hi Victoria! Don't tell Charlie I said so, but it makes me so happy that you are making his dinner. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so far things sound pretty good and you are all doing great things there! I really want to visit but we will see how things go

    ReplyDelete