Friday, August 28, 2009

Moving to Honduras

Moving to Honduras


(I’m starting this blog a bit late and would like to catch everyone up to speed)



To begin…

Brian, my husband, was laid off just around the time that the US economy was called “a crisis”. This was June, 2009- the summer that changed our lives.

Olivia, our first child, was about 5 months old, and she and I have been part of a Mommy group on the West side of LA that I started and share with another Mom, Lynne. We also had been swimming at the community pool once a week, enjoying walks to our friends homes, the beach, and the parks near by in our lovely Santa Monica neighborhood. I can say, life has been more than ideal since my marriage and move here to sunny LA. Previously, I had been a New Yorker, and a bit rough around the edges (to say the least), and I can see why LA has been often referred to as “LA LA land”. I’ve come to admire the force at which people pursue dreams and commit to living not-so-conventional lives, while maintaining a social life and standard of living that puts us in a state of permanent vacation mode. This is what I love about LA, and it didn’t take moving to Honduras to gain such appreciation.

Now, with a major decision at hand, my hubby and I had to figure what our next step as a family would be. He had not been enthused to be looking for another job, one which he would most likely despise, and I was not willing to have an unhappy husband. So our choices were laid out before us: continue this lovely lifestyle while sacrificing Brian’s happiness, and in turn, our entire family’s state of content- or, pray for God to provide us with something radical.

Thus- moving to Honduras became our number one choice of pursuit. A good friend of Brian’s has been working to start-up a toy company which would be based in Honduras, and he would be able and willing to volunteer his time and skills with this company in exchange for our family to live in Honduras. A home would be provided, a dream would be had, and an adventure would begin.

We are in this adventure now, and it has been a long journey.



We began to notify family and friends of our plans. Friends were much more optimistic and thrilled than family.

We then had to down-size drastically. We held a silent auction, garage sale, and listed everything on Craig’s list. This was a major success thanks to Brian’s negotiating skills, and our willingness to let-go of a lot. In Brian’s words, “we’ve just been paying money to hold onto things we barely use” this is how much of us operate anyway.



We now had to store that which we wanted to keep or felt we couldn’t replace. My brother-in-law was kind enough to allow us to store much of our large items with him in his new condo, and my in-laws are holding onto out clothes.



Now, we needed a home base in LA. My in-laws allowed us to set-up the spare room at their home with our essentials: Olivia’s crib, our clothes, our toiletries, our files, and home office needs. We had gone from a 2 bedroom apartment to a small room and closet. Challenge number one

No comments:

Post a Comment