Thursday, September 29, 2011

Daily Bread




This summer, as many of you know, we have found our selves taking refuge from the Phoenix summer sun in beautiful places such as Sedona, Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, and Durango Colorado.  What is most amazing about these summer vacation points is that although there are plenty of things to “do” we were drawn to what there was simply to see. ..
The high, red, Sedona Rocks that glow as if the sun has set them on fire.
The deep infinite drops and climbs of the Canyon that seem to tease our eyes and senses.
The tall trees of Flagstaff that shelter us with the sent of pine and promise of winter.
The dancing river of Durango that glides through the city, boasting beauty around every vivid bend.
Our family came just to be in the presence of such nature. Not man made. Not consumer driven. Not something we could wrap up and take back home. There was just something about being around such beauty that it was as if we were breathing God into our very being.
Now, I’ve always been a bit “crunchy”; Artsy, hippie, granola, if you will. I’ve found ways to carry my own water bottle, recycle, borrow, BYOB, donate, reuse, while spending, and wasting less. I am excited by saving, nurturing, and reserving. But in these days, I’ve been gripped in my soul by how much waste there is around us. There is literally a knot between my shoulder blades that grows tighter with every plastic water bottle tossed into a heaping shiny bin, every super sized American meal that finds its way to the trash, every oversized, over air conditioned home and store that eats up air as it pollutes us with its very being. There seems to be an insatiable need surrounding that whispers in our ears lies like “you need that, you deserve that, that isn’t good enough, this is better, you are entitled to this, you need more, you paid for that, you won’t be satisfied until…”
Meanwhile, what is free and beautiful weeps and suffers because of the worlds’ ravenous ways.  How much do we really need?
I’ve lived out of a single suitcase. Found a way to survive with 10 pieces of clothing. Endured life without a car. Found my home in a space just under 300 square feet. Had enough in the bank or my daily bread. And given it all away just to start over again. Never during those times did my lack of belongings change who I was. As I craved for more space, more belongings, and more ownership, my most desirable assets remained firm; Time, relationships, and nature.
Later in life, I found myself acquiring more “stuff”.  A house, a car, a walk-in closet, a yard, a vanity, yadda, yadda. Time slips through my fingers with every swipe of the credit card. Relationships are drone by the hum of a vacuum. And nature is but a nuisance of weeds and pests. This time, I did lose a bit of who I was.  The consumption process had stolen it away.  The idea that more is better has proven to be a lie. Our earth is proof of this as we continue to challenge our resources and close our eyes as we exist on borrowed time.  “Sustainability” and “Going Green” are now consumer terms to make us feel better about our purchasing powers. The reality is that more we consume the heavier, more costly, and weaker we become.
Now, I am not an extremist ready to flee to the mountain tops, strip naked and cry out to nature “pride!” But, I am a realist realizing that the more I appreciate what I have, what beauty God has provided for free, and what it means to respect life- the more content I become.  Appreciation for the moments I am given, the relationships I’m entrusted with, and the impact I have on the world each day is what is keeping me sustainable.  What can I teach my children? If I am to be the change I want to see, and pass on a legacy of love, then I must walk the walk and make simple adjustments during the day.  Change is not easy but it is necessary.  I take simple attainable steps; Turn off the faucet, carpool, unplug, write, read, rest, breathe, and live. I remember that time is limited, people are precious, and what God offers each day is free. 

“May I not be controlled by consumption and greed but be led by the God given passions and desires placed in my heart”.

~ Victoria

4 comments:

  1. Amen, beautiful Vic. So glad you're taking up writing again and sharing your thoughts with the world =) Keep drinking in the beauties that God has laid out before you and keep replenishing your large soul. I heart you. -L

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it!!

    have you read "serve God, save the planet" by matthew sleeth?? you should you'll love it. i read it years ago .... i credit this book for being the catalyst of where rob and i are today .... working on building our own little sustainable farm, living with less and loving more. :)

    once the farm is little more together ... you'll have to come out for a camp. :)

    hugs!!! happy friday,
    cousin nic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you had quite a summer vacation! The overall subject really resonates with me and its very poignant. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to reading more form you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for leaving comments! Sometimes I wonder if words just float around in cyber-space unread. It means so much to me that you took the time to read. I'll be posting more soon :)

    ReplyDelete