Friday, November 20, 2009

Removing the Apendix


It was around 6pm on Tuesday night, and I just didn’t feel right. It had been a long day- Bible study, Mommy group, Art class, and a friend’s visit. Brian and I thought I had a stomach ache, and I tried to sleep through the pain (just like I did during labor contractions) but at 6am Wednesday morning, it was unbearable! I felt like a knife was turning in my gut and it was worse foe me then contractions! Brian looked worried and I told him it is my appendix, please ask Leslie (our good friend and Brian’s personal translator at Tegu) to take us to the hospital. We grabbed my pre-packed Mommy- emergency bag (every Mom should have one of these!) and we went straight to ER thanks to Leslie’s connections at he hospital.




You would miss the hospital if you didn’t know where you were going because it looked like a veterinarian laboratory. A doctor and nurse greeted us, and Leslie translated everything simultaneously for us. Basically, they would run some tests, and I would remain in pain until the results and the surgeon made the final diagnosis. OK. Much like labor again, and so I focused on breathing and thinking of something other than the burn and torment inside. Unlike labor, I would not get a beautiful loving baby after surgery, but a gang green stump of an over infected swollen appendix.



We had entered the ER at about 8-9 am, and I was diagnosed and scheduled to have an appendicitis surgery at 12 pm. 3 more hours of pain!! We were all taken into the hospital and set up in what would be a recovery room. Olivia was crawling up and down on the guest hospital bed with Leslie and Bri was moving our stuff in and setting up.


 I was freezing! And just laughing at the irony of the situation- our parents’ worst nightmare coming true! Their first born set to emergency in a foreign country! The worst so far was the IV getting pushed into my vein, and everyone speaking-well- Spanish, and I was STARVING and with no hope of food for at least 24 hours. After 2 hours of being prepped, we were ready for surgery. Our friends Gabi, Pepper, Leslie, and Ali all showed up to bring us supplies and pray with us. A wave of peace and comfort enveloped me and I knew I was in good hands; God’s hands.


 So the Doctor came in, wearing Ray Ban sunglasses! And I was rolled away into the surgery room. The surgery room smelled like rubbing alcohol, and beakers, test tubes, and old equipment was about the room making me feel like I was in a 1920’s sci-fi movie! The surgeon assistance spoke some English, and explained that I was going to be put under (thank God) and then I started babbling as I drifted off. All I could think about was my Olivia and my Brian and how I wanted to be back in their arms ASAP!



I awoke, was rolled back into my room, and everyone we knew was waiting to greet me and pray with me! Belinda, Walinda, Ali, Gabi, Pepper,Chris, Steve, and Leslie- who never left our side. Olivia had been in good hands, and I was overwhelmed with love.

I spent the night at the hospital and Briand I Olivia stayed in the room with me (I mean we had ALL our stuff there including the pack-n-play!) and poor Olivia and Daddy suffered from – well- lack of boobie! Without nursing Olivia was inconsolable. I’m not sure when they slept, but in the morning, I decided that I had to nurse Olivia despite the antibiotics.


She was now doing well, and I just awaited my check up to see when they would let me eat! Finally at about 9am I was able to have Jell-O, which Brian fed me making me feel 100 years old. Then a12 pm a gross soup. Then at 1pm chicken and rice. Getting better! I had perfected the use of a bed pan, and was ready to stand up, go to the bathroom, and have a sponge bath. Who- I felt like an old women! This is our future!

With Dunkin Donuts, lunch delivered, and plans to have meals and help scheduled for my next week of recovery, the Dr. made his final appearance- in his Ray Ban sun glasses, and said I could go home. I have stitches about 2 inches long, and they will be removed in a week. I can’t lift, bed, cough, laugh, or move too quickly. This is very difficult for me! I also have to accept the help of everyone, and cannot host, serve, or entertain my loved ones. This is also very difficult! So as I am rolled out of the hospital, thankful that everything went well, I look forward to the company and help from everyone. And every one has been amazing! Every need, every hour, every meal, every prayer has been covered.

This was unexpected, as most illnesses are, but the lesson learned and the love received is overwhelming! We have only been here since August and have a family. I have learned that I do not need to “do” everything, or to “expect perfection” from myself. I have learned to be the Martha and the Mary. To serve and be still in the Lord. I have learned that no matter where we are, God will provide the details down to the people and community and fellowship that our family will need. And all of His promises He has kept. I am like a Princess, and Olivia is having the time of her life with playmates and attention that she thrives in. We are still nursing three times a day, and she is my treasure. Brian has taken night shifts cleaning and taking care of Olivia.



Yes, I will be happy to be fully healed, but I am enjoying the love that the Lord is pouring down on me.


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that things are being taken care of and that Olivia can still breastfeed, I'm so sorry that this happened. =/ We are praying for your swift healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, we were praying you up so hard Vic. We heard news of it and I was freaked out, but L was okay. She was confident that God was on your side. Deep inside we both knew that God would protect you. One of the things that L learned when she was in Iraq was that no matter where we are physically, there's nowhere safer than in the absolute middle of God's Will for you. God honors y'alls obedience.

    We miss you three so much and can't wait to see you!!!

    ReplyDelete