Saturday, October 10, 2009

Alternate Realities: Visiting New York and returning to Honduras








Alternate Realities: Visiting New York and returning to Honduras


hello and good bye!


We are now TRYING to get back to our temporary home in Honduras, but we are delayed in San Pedro Sula for two hours (a story I will tell in more detail later), and so as Olivia naps on the sofa of the Dr. Office looking “first class” waiting room at Grand Central bus terminal in San Pedro Sula, Honduras, I am working on updating my blog- which will take a very long time since last time I wrote we were visiting Chiminikie.

Leaving Honduras was difficult. Chris drove us to the bus terminal to catch our luxury bus ride to San Pedro Sula, but because of THE WORST traffic I’ve ever seen, which included goats, broken down motor cycles, and fruit trucks…we missed our bus by 5 minutes.  We had to wait 6 hours at the bus terminal for the next bus ride.  Why are we not leaving for JFK NY from Teguciculpa? Because leaving from San Pedro Sula, which is 4 hours away, is half the price, and on our budget, we need to save money.  SO now we are waiting for the next bus, and it is hot! We are lucky to meet a guy named Oscar, who fell in love with Olivia.  He sat with us, shared his life story, and made the time go by in good company.  He was born in Honduras, but moved to and lived in Brooklyn until he got deported back to Honduras, and now he lives back here. We say goodbye to Oscar, are blessed to actually pray together, and head out in our super luxury bus. 
Once we arrive in JFK, my sister Angela is waiting for us. She greets us with big hugs, and we pile into the car just in time to get out of the chilly night air. 



When Brian and I arrived in Long Island, Tom, my step-dad, asked us if it were good to be back to real life. Real life? Hmmm.  This is a concept that Brian and I often visit. What is “real life”?
Is it having a job, a house, a family, a dog, holidays, vacations, bills, plans…or is it house sharing, suit case living, travel, group dinners…
I’ve come to the conclusion that “real life” is all of the above. Real life is the life that you are living, with passion, dreams, nightmares, and touch downs included; all of life’s daily needs plus the spice of taking chances and being obedient to your calling. 

After saying our hello’s to my family, we went off to bed for a nap, because it was about 5am, and we would wake for breakfast around 10.
bath with Tita Angela

Tito Franklin, Lilly, Daddy, and Livi 
Mom, sister Angela, Liv, Me




We began our visit in Long Island- getting ready for my sister Leslie’s big party. 
Sister Leslie and Franklin
Leslie, who is my middle sister, was married last year but never had the big party. Her and hubby Franklin bought a condo in Boca Florida, and by surprise, got pregnant this year. She is due November 17th, and so we had a big party in celebration of both her marriage and baby.  It was such a beautiful party, a perfect day, and we all had a blast! I am so proud of her and Franklin (also known as Tito Babe) and can not wait to meet their baby boy!! Leslie’s Party-
We arrive at Leslie’s party about an hour late.  Like movie stars (which in LA we technically are because we were in that film short Sons of God.  Google it!) Everyone lies up to hold dear precious Olivia. She is so social, and is happy to meet all the Italian family.  It is funny how she looks Italian with us, and Philippi no in CA!









Best Men- Tom, Franklin, and Bri


Angela, Dad. Me. Melissa

                                                         Aunt Lisa and I
Baby Anna and Livi

hot Mamas!

Mom and Tom


The next day we ALL head to the beach and have a memorial for Grandpa Sam, and let his ashes go in the sea.  It was really an amazing day, and everyone who spoke had something beautiful to say…”I learned so much from Dad, look what two people have created, they would have wanted us to all to be together, Grandpa taught me to be active, and to work hard…”  I think I have gone numb at the topic by now, but letting go is still something that is difficult, and I hope to be able to say that I have let go of Grandpa and Grandma.

My sister Angela left that night, and it was sad to think that I will most likely not be at her graduation. It is so hard to be far away from my sisters. They are like a piece of me in many ways.


Toasting to Grandpa Sam








My Grandfather on my Mother’s side (remember Grandpa Sam from my play???) died just last month, and so we also had a memorial service celebration for him as well.  This means that ALL the family on my Mom’s side (the Armando’s) visited for the events. The memorial was really beautiful and everyone had something lovely to say.
Cousin Nik and Liv
Aunt Leslies, my Mom’s older sister, and her crew all came in from Texas, Aunt Lisa, Mom’s younger sister, came from Purchase NY, and Uncle Ed, Mom’s older brother came in from Florida.  Along with more cousins from all over, and some of my Dad’s family too.  
Cousins and Aunties

Koske girls

I can say it was challenging answering the many questions as to why are we in Honduras? How is Olivia doing with the transition? How long will we stay? Has Brian found or is he looking for work? What is the reason we are in Honduras? Is it safe? Wait—why are we in Honduras???? Well, I think I had my response down pretty well and had to really soul search during the time of questions. I listened o what other family members are doing…working a dream job, working a nightmare job, having more babies, getting dogs, moving to new places, visiting friends…are we not all truly in search of the same thing? Happiness. To be content. To have purpose. To have real relationships? We are just doing it in Honduras because that happens to be the door that God has opened for us (though at times I do argue with Him and ask for the key to a door somewhere else, like Santa Monica.  Ohhhh sweet LA!)


Westchester
After our Friday, Saturday, Sunday visits in Long Island, we head to Aunt Lisa’s house in Purchase NY for a Monday visit (why? Because we just cant get enough of each other).  


Aunt Lisa and Livi

Jer and John


Long Island wineries
Tuesday, we enjoy rest and rain.  Sleeping in, making pancakes, and watching movies.  I can’t remember what we did on Wednesday I went to visit my good friend Francine who just had her first beautiful baby Natalie.  Thursday and Friday are a blur.  Saturday we went wine tasting with my sister, Franklin, Tom, and Mom. I never really appreciated how beautiful Long Island wine country is until I moved away from Long Island, and grew up.  There are farm stands that look like water color paintings, and landscapes of corn fields, pumpkin patches, and vineyards.  We spent part of the day at a vineyard that had an airstream show, live music, petting farm, and Bbq! That was great! And then we went to Pindor for more live music and great wine. 








Sunday Leslie and Franklin left and it was sad to think that I will not be there for the birth of Leslie’s little baby boy (yes! It’s a boy!).  


New York City



To cheer me up, we were of to visit New York City! NYC is like a person.  One that you can love deeply and hate desperately at the same time.  Last time I was in NYC, I was preggers with Olivia.  This time, she is along with us! We take the train from Speonk LIRR, and it is 8:15am.  The air is crisp, and the wave of LI commuters take seat in the double-decker train.  Its Olivia’s first time on a train! We arrive in NYC around 10am, and head for the subway.  I can tell that the subway always gets Brian excited.  He is great at getting around NYC, and remembers routes to get everywhere as quickly as possible.  Some of our favorite places to visit when in NYC are: The West Village, Central Park, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Union Square, Ground Zero, and our friends! Eats include Yuma Sushi, Gray’s Papaya, Ray’s Pizza, Ollie’s Noodles, and the Village Den all of which we visited this trip.  Jennie welcomed us to stay in her apartment, and both Naomi and Brando met up with us to say hello. We do wish we had time to see everyone!! It was difficult to leave NYC, but with a huge stroller going up and down the subway stair way, I can say it was nice to be back in the burbs to re-coop.  Its fast pace and high energy- a city I love and hate- NYC will always be a place I go back to, and feel right at home.  




Central Park







Honduras pickets in NYC!







2 comments:

  1. Hi friends! Good to follow you on your blog! As you go back to Hondurus, we wondered if we could send a care package? What do you need and what do the people you're serving need? Please let us know. Just 7 more weeks until baby Stolpe is due!
    We appreciate the clothes you gave us soooo much, and the bottle warmer, etc.!

    Talk soon,

    Andrea and Jan Stolpe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the NYC trip was jam packed with activities! Were you guys able to relax?

    ReplyDelete